Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Rest for your souls . . .

There are plenty of days that I find myself growing weary. I allow myself to become burdened by the weight of responsibility that I carry (though I know that my husband carries so much more than I.) The tasks to be done seem endless: Healthy meals to prepare, caring for a sick child, providing a strong education for my children that fosters a love of learning, keeping my home in such a way that it is a place that is welcoming to others and my family, keeping up with laundry for six people (and the ironing to go with it!), preparing to teach Sunday School in a way that I can faithfully present the truths of God's Word, all the "big" household projects that need to be taken care of (such as painting the house both inside and out), constantly cleaning out and decluttering, running errands, paying bills and balancing the budget, trying to get my children where they need to be both on time and fully prepared, needing to exercise, keeping up with correspondence, emails and knowing that I haven't posted on this blog in months . . . Plus the immensely greater need to love my family, love others, and love God in a way that brings ultimate glory to Him. There is no way that I can possibly do it all!

But that is exactly where the Lord wants me to be. Realizing that I can't possibly do everything that is set before me completely on my own.

This morning when I sat down to pray and read my Bible, all the myriads of things that I needed to accomplish today flooded my mind. As I sought the Lord, He immediately brought to mind Matthew 11:28-30, " Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Though the yoke that I find myself bearing is not necessarily one of religious legalism, it is a legalism of expectations that I place on myself to "do it all" - and to do those things "perfectly." I find myself like Christian at the beginning of John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress with a burden that is impossible to carry, stumbling under its weight.

I must continually come to the Lord, seeking to be discipled by Him, digging in His Word and being fed for the day, taking up the Sword of the Spirit to fight the daily battles presented to me, and putting on love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control - all this in His power and by His grace alone. It is not something that I can do myself (just like everything else in life!) I must continually confess that I cannot "do it all", nor can I adequately even do a little bit. I was never intended to. I can however, trust the Holy Spirit to guide me and teach me, trust Christ to intercede on my behalf as my Savior and Redeemer, and trust God the Father to see me as the righteousness of Christ (when I, in myself, hold no righteousness at all.)

I am seeking rest for my soul, for I have been laboring fruitlessly and heavy-laden with all the world places on my shoulders. I am taking His easy yoke and light burden upon me and seeking with all my heart to learn from the One who has saved my soul and is the only One who can reach to the very depths of it and conform my heart to be more like His.

So, will all the tasks on my list be completed today? Nope - and that's okay. Instead, I will seek to be faithful to what He has called me to do this day. To love and to live in a way that brings ultimate glory to Him. Knowing that is my main responsibility truly is weight lifted. The things that need to be done will be done in their proper time. The things that are not crucial probably won't be for some while - or possibly not at all. Who knows when pictures will actually be posted here, even though I now have a working computer? I'm okay with that. For now, I am seeking rest for my soul. Won't you set aside your burden and join me?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks Tammy for pointing me to the one who calls us to rest in Him! Miss you all!

T said...

Sis, I think you should start training for a marathon so that way you won't be bored all the time. :)

Thanks for your encouraging words. I love you!

Tiff